Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Update

So Saturday evening (the 13th) Riley was admitted inpatient to a facility in State College.  He handled it well, no crying or clinging....which we found a little odd, but were thankful. 

He had a bit of an issue with his first roommate -- that child lashed out at him.  Thankfully there were no injuries and he seems unaffected by the incident.  He had a second roommate, and was unable to follow rules with that roommate and now has a third....

He calls us every evening around dinner time and we talk for about 10 minutes.  He doesn't get emotional at all -- just tells us about his different therapy groups and all the yummy food he gets to eat (he's a bottomless pit, even on the ADHD meds!).  He sounds so ... different ... on the phone.  I can't describe it.  Hollow maybe?  It's just strange and unemotional. 

He had a medication added at bedtime to help him with impulsiveness & sleep.

We had a family phone session with Jon & I, the therapist, and Riley on Tuesday morning.  I don't really know where it got us -- but I'm trying to trust that things are progressing. 

He has been doing well in the program, which actually kind of worried us.  Home is SO extreme that if he can't get help somewhere by them seeing the issues and helping us with treatment, then I don't know what we'll do.  This morning when I spoke with his therapist she said that he's having trouble "respecting boundaries" with the other male residents.  So perhaps he's starting to show some of the behaviors and this well help them better develop a treatment plan.

I asked his therapist this morning if they had an idea of discharge date.  Not because I'm rushing to get him home, because I want him to stay there as LONG as it takes for him to get well -- or to a higher level of safe function.  More because I just didn't know what page they are on with that....and we all know insurance pushes to get people out the door.  She said that he has a tentative discharge date of 12/24, but with the recent behaviors it may be changed.  That will be assessed early next week. 

It's been difficult at home.  We miss him.  It feels so strange.  I find myself looking at his pictures and watching old videos and tearing up.  There's an odd silence in the house.  Yes, I'd be lying if I didn't say it's a breath of relief, but it's still emotionally so devastating. 

I technically have more time to be getting cleaning and things done, and I just don't have the energy.  I'm not sleeping well (even with medications) and I'll admit -- my depression has hit a pretty low point again and I'm struggling.  I managed to drag myself to work today, and we had our holiday celebration, which involved a lot of much needed laughs with my co-workers!

Please continue to pray for the situation, in all its many aspects......